A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Scary Experience

Dear Geegee,

I think your idea sounds very good and I appreciate your suggestions.
Well in my case, my experience in Bulacan led me to pursue Delivery Room Nursing at St. Luke's during my first year as a Registered Nurse.
During our Bulacan experience while doing prenatal visitation, Elena Ductama, the Midwife and I were visiting a 9 month pregnant mother. The Midwife examined the mother and said that she was still not in active labor. She decided at that time to leave us so she can get her instruments. After about two minutes, the mother started having active, strong and painful contractions and she told us that she was going to have the baby in no time. I got so scared. With no instruments, what are we suppose to do? I had to use my thinking cap. I was scared but I had to be calm. That's all I could do at that time. I told the husband to boil water and give me string and scissors to tie and cut the cord. In no time, I DELIVERED THE BABY, suctioned her with a straw and tied the cord with a string. The baby cried and when I was about to cut the cord, the Midwife came and relieved me of my ordeal.Both the mother and the father were very much appreciative of what Elena and I did.They gave us fruits to take home and we shared the fruits and the experience to the rest of our classmates back in the house.

MILDRED

No comments: