A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

" I am 50 and...."


After I have reached 50,and someone or something pisses me off, I take a deep sigh and sing this line “I am old but I am happy….” It was a very famous song by Cat Stevens ”Father and Son” during late 60’s and early 70’s. I love to play this song with my guitar when I was in college….

Alright Julie and Mildred you got me going…After I read the blog I couldn’t stop singing this line “I am old but I am happy…just relax and take it easy....”

Before I reached 50, I went through a crisis of searching for my “WHO and WHAT” my life would be when I turn 50…I prayed a lot. I went for a spiritual counseling and guidance. I made realistic and measurable goals. I changed my body outlook (I lost 40lbs, my dress size from 14 to 4 to size 10 going to 12...hahahaha...still going up)but don't worry "I am old but I am happy..., I changed my attitude and my ways of thingking..."just relax and take it easy".

Since Vincent and Mark graduated college four years ago and both are doing well with their love life and both have steady jobs, I am enjoying every minute of my free time...

I am an active member with organizations especially with Philippine Nurses Association of New Jersey. I was the Recording Secretary during the mid 90’s and at present time the acting Treasurer of the PNA of NJ Bergen County Subchapter. I am also active with HPAE (Health Professional and Allied Employee) hospital union organization, and social organization like San Juan Batangas USA Association (SJBUSAA) of New Jersey an association that belongs to my husband’s town organization…. I am 51 and I love doing community services. I go out with friends and attend social functioning supporting any community services.

I also like to stay at home and knit while I watch Korean TV mini series (my recent passion)…I want to visit Korea some day.... I hate shopping malls. I hate cooking...Once a week I go buy our food from this Filipino "turo-turo" restaurant freeze them, then just warm it up for dinner.My husband doesn't mind it.I love doing Sudoku before going to bed…Mahjong solitaire and scrabbles at my computer. I only clean the house when visitors are coming...

Wow...looks like an easy life ha. Think of it as a "PAUSE" for the next decade to come...BIG "60"...retirement age....loneliness...fulfillment...Oh NO!!!!!What is next? "DON'T PANIC".


OK. GUYS. IT IS YOUR TURN...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Veron,
Anong korean novela ang napanood mo? Did you get to watch "stairway to heaven?" I like that one. Basang-basa ang panyo ko! Tumitili ako dito may parehas ako na mahilig sa korean telenovelas (ganoon ang tawag dito. At scrabble at the internet..I play that also.. Ipinalalabas din dito sa GMA ang korean novelas and Cat Stevens, "Father and Son".."just relax, take it easy..I am old but I am happy"!
That's the spirit, girl..Go..girl!
always,
julie

Mildred said...

Where is that Filipino turo-turo restaurant in New Jersey? We don't have one like that here in our area. I cook for Rene everyday and when he is on call, I deliver his dinner in the hospital. I need a break, it gets tiring sometimes. But, I love it-- Way to go Veron and by the way, you better clean your house tomorrow, I might stop by for a visit.

Veron Orpilla Benitez said...

OH NOOOOOO!!!!! I RENTED 6 KOREAN AND CHINESES DVD TO WATCH ALL DAY TODAY. IT IS MY DAY OFF...DON'T YOU DARE...I am relaxing and taking it easy...My work is very stressful...I get 24 patients and 90% have Borderline Personalities. Ask Rene how this Axis II drain your energy...
"Cusinera" in Bergenfield. They are open at 7 AM til 7 PM. What I like most on that little place is the food is always "bagong luto" because a lot of people eat there...I have to call ahead of time to reserve food for me until I pick up after work...Masarap and luto nila...lutong Bicol.

Mildred said...

Okay, Veron, I'll give you a break since you are off today. I am not going to visit you tomorrow, just watch your Korean and Chinese DVD's. By the way while you are watching those DVD's, you can knit me a nice pink sweater-size 4. I'll pick it up when I visit you next time-he,he,he.

Manongdo said...

Nakakainis naman kayo ang papayat. When I turned 30 I became progressively fat like I'm having twins. I'm considering liposuction and tummy tuck. I'm waiting for my children to pay for it since they made me fat when I got pregnant and I haven't lost the pregnancy weight (x3 baby boy over 7 year period). My oldest is 27 and youngest is 20....:) I will go on starvation diet so I will look better during the reunion. :)

Veron Orpilla Benitez said...

Huwag kang mag-alala Cynthia dahil ang mataba sa akin ay ang puwit ko. Size 40DDD...hahahahaha.Gusto ko ngang mag pa reduction at ipapakabit ko sa dalawang boobs ko dahil ang size ay Size 32A.

Manongdo said...

Siguro kong mag pa face lift ako they can stretch the skin para yong tyan ko mapunta sa boobs ko?

Veron Orpilla Benitez said...

Cynthia,
Ah...pareho pala tayo flat chested...sabi ko sa asawa ko uuwi ako sa Pilipinas at pupunta ako kay Vickie Velo (plastic Surgeon) para mag palagay ng boobs. Sabi niya "OK lang" sa kanya...hahahahaha...Tignan natin kung titigas pa (alam mo na iyon)....hahahaha...Balita ko
maraming umuuwi sa atin dahil mas mura duon...