A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Monday, March 17, 2008

I am 50 #3

I am 50 and at peace with my self. For a long time I have been my worst enemy, not good, pretty or smart enough for others expectations. I have slowly evolved and learned the lovely person within me and that is enough to love me and in turn for others to love the true me. I am ecstatic to discover my old friends in school and look forward to more friends in the future. :) I am energized to learn and to do more , for technology never cease to amaze me. I work as an electrophysiology nurse, the modern day frankenstein laboratory where we induce a lethal cardiac rhythm. We help people prolong their life by implanting pacemakers and defibrillators. We help the young ones by ablating their abnormal cardiac electrical pathway wolff-parkinson-white syndrome. Sudden cardiac death is not a mystery to us anymore, we often see it in our laboratory. Atrial fibrillation and its devastating effects will someday be cured and the heart will return to its normal rhythm. I am part of the health technology boom that prolongs people's lives and improve their lifestyle. If I can make a difference in a person's life then it is worth all this effort. I am at peace with myself that I have given my best to make this a better world no matter how small a contribution it may be. :) .....I remain Cynthia Manongdo Elmido.
BTW.. Julie thank-you for letting me think of what I do in the hospital. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Cynthia,
Salamat sa info. I am curious and would like to know more about defibrillators. Nakakatulong ba siya talaga, since 27 may atrial fibrillation na ako at nabuhay na ako ng abnormal mula noon. Pero 24 pa lang ako ng ma-diagnosed ng valvular heart disease. Napaka-abnormal ng aking cardiac rhythm. Sa tingin mo makakatulong sa gaya ko ang process?
Marami pong Salamat,
Julie

Manongdo said...

Our current environment predisposes us to abnormal cardiac rhythms, more common than we know.We've had a 16 year old athlete that needed the defibrillator, and the 100 year old that needed the pacemaker. :) There was a study called SCD-Heft which proved defibrillators are indicated for people with a high risk of Sudden cardiac death versus prophylactic medication. More people are choosing defibrillators. Also the newest technology is the biventricular pacing which can improve your ejection fraction and can give you more energy.It helps to prevent you from going to CHF. A lot of Open heart surgery patients develop electrical abnormalities and irritability due to tissue damage. A. Fib. is very common but can be cured with A.Fib.ablation. with the hands of an expert electrophysiologist its very low risk.We have 3D mapping that can pinpoint the exact location of the atrial fibrillation in your atrium.I'm not a doctor and I don't know your medical history pero it looks like you can be helped by an ablation. If I know the specifics I can ask our medical director- he's very nice and friendly. :)

Veron Orpilla Benitez said...

This is great news Julie.

Anonymous said...

Thank You for the Info Cynthia,
I will discuss this with my cardiologist. Sigurado ako mapepeste na naman siya sa akin. He is doing research on elctrophysiology of the heart. I will copy your post and present it to my cardiologist, may intellectual rights ba ang info mo? Sa reunion mo na lang ako singilin.
Marami Pong Salamat..

Manongdo said...

Tell your cardiologist if he is interested in electrophysiology to join the HRS(Heart Rhthm Society) Symposium on May 15-17 in San Francisco this year. You can get more info at www.HRS.com Oh daaayyy, There are no intelectual rights, this is public knowledge. :) "Inquiring minds want to know" basis lang ito. :) I look forward to seeing you. :)