A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

LET'S GET PHYSICAL







CLASSMATES,
We as nurses are very devoted and knowledgeable in taking care of other people, we learned that from our beloved Miss Alcantara. We give and give to others, but we forget to take care of ourselves. How can we be of good service to others if we are not healthy ourselves? We are now in our 50's +, our metabolism is slowing down, we have aches and pains all over, our bp. is up and down and cholesterol, who knows what they are?? We always say that our husbands love us no matter what we look like, whether we are skinny or chunky. This is not for our husbands, this is for ourselves. We need to take care of our minds, bodies and self esteems so that we will be able to handle our aging process with dignity and pride, and most especially to be able to play with our grandchildren with ease and confidence.
Due to these reasons, I propose that the CLASS OF 78 should be more health conscious, not to be skinny but healthy. We have to start with simple weight bearing exercises like walking,jogging and using some helpful equipment like treadmills and cardio glide machines. We also need to eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables, low carbs and low fats. We always eat rice every meal maybe we need to cut down on it. Never skip a meal, especially breakfast. Eat 6 times a day but in small portions and drink a lot of water.
OH, but you will say, "I HAVE NO TIME,I WORK EVERYDAY AND I AM ALWAYS BUSY." Ladies, don't make excuses, you have to make time!!! Cynthia said in one of her blogs that she is going to starve herself so that she will look good in the reunion. Starving is not the solution to lose weight, a change of life style is.
After my third baby, way back in the 90's, I was 30 lbs. heavier. It was hard to take care of my 3 girls especially to run around in the backyard. I told myself, "I DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE THIS". I excersized, ate the right food and little by little, the weights just came off. Now, 18 years later, I am 115 lbs., just like my weight when I was in my 20's.
I know it is hard for some of us, but just try. It is difficult at first, there will be ups and downs, but I know that you will make it!! I know that CLASS OF 78 is strong and determined and willing to fight the obstacles along the way. I hope that when we see each other during the reunion, you are more confident and secure of your bodies and more healthy too. How about it guys?

14 comments:

Veron Orpilla Benitez said...

HI Mildred,

Thank you for your advice. Speaking for myself, I do respect your opinion about weight and health conscious. I once suffered from obesity. My family and I became very concerned about it. My son, Mark, is a very health conscious freak...told me once, in the late 90's, "I'll take you to BALLY'S"...I also joined Weight Watchers. I lost 40 lbs, became size 4. Maintained this weight for 5 years...I was happy then but it did not last that long, I suffered from mild depression. I knew what was causing it. I did not have time for myself because I was always at the GYM. For me what is more important is how a person is comfortable with their weight. As long as they know that, their doctor is giving them two thumbs up with their bill of health.
This is just my opinion. Others can negate or accept it.
I would love to go back to size 4 again. However, I will never trade this "every minute of enjoyment" I am experiencing now. I can do whatever I want.” FREE WILL".

Mildred said...

Thank you for the comment Veron. I am glad you are happy right now. Wanting to be healthy does not mean that you have to go to HEALTH CLUBS all the time and be obsessed about it. There should be a balance of everything. Just doing simple exercises in the convenience of your own home few times a week will suffice. This is good for your circulation and good muscle tone. Eating the right kinds of food will prevent some illnesses and aches and pains of old age.
I remembered when I was chunky several years ago. I was very disappointed when I could not hike with my family during our important summer vacations. It was no fun at all when I could not participate in their sports activities because I was not physically fit to do them. I am very passionate about it because right now I am more happy. I could do a lot of things that I could not do during my 30's. My doctor was very proud of me because of my new health regimen. I just want to share my feelings to the class. I do not want to impose on anyone else. I just feel that as we grow older, we are set on our ways and it is hard for us to change our life style. THIS IS JUST A REMINDER FOR EVERYONE. THANKS...

oddie said...

Hi Mildred...thank you for your advise....
Beautiful family you and Rene have there... full of joy and laughter...

Mildred said...

Dear ODDIE,
Thank you for your nice comment. You are very kind.. Next time, I just have to keep my thoughts to myself. All I want for us is to live healthy lives. I did not say that we need to be skinny because that is hard to do especially at our age. My desire is for us to live to the best of our potentials. I was misunderstood by some and for that I deeply apologize.
God created us in HIS own image and as a respect for HIM, we need to take care of the body that HE gave us. I have some dear friends in the church who are severely ill right now because they did not follow the advise of their own physicians and now it is too late... THAT IS WHY I AM VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT IT....

Manongdo said...

Dear Mildred, Nothing wrong with being outspoken specially when you are right. I know it was just a gentle reminder for fat ones like me, but you are right it is good to be healthy. Any other reason is just an excuse. I just needed an incentive to lose weight, will you pay my New York trip to Broadway with Geegee if I lost 30 pounds?..LOL..Just kidding....Cyn

Mildred said...

Cynthia,
I am from NEW YORK, I'll take you to BROADWAY myself. Thank you for making me laugh, I needed that...

Geegee McFarlain said...

Awwwwww...Mildred, don't feel bad. There was absolutely nothing wrong with challenging everyone into a fitness program. There is no question that you meant well and we love you for it. There is also nothing wrong with others stating personal opinions about the issue. I'm afraid this is really a very touchy matter that triggers very polarized responses from people, especially women. As a mental health nurse who takes care of anorexics/bulemics, I know that one approaches this subject with sensitivity and care because it could hurt one's self-esteem. Having said that, we are fifty-somethings now and so we can have a healthy exchange of opinions and agree to disagree in a mature fashion. I move to just leave the fitness challenge to the professionals and get past this.

Anonymous said...

Mildred,you are sharing what you think would be of help to the rest of us and it means no offense at all. That is how you view things and it is always valid. At first I kept on laughing about your tips for I am definitely excluded from it! Kasi payatot ako eh, not by choice but by regimen or medical force. Don't take heed of this, what matters is that you have open your hearts to all of us, and continue.. I am always reminded by my cardiologist na "marunong pa sa kanya" in which I quipped, "natural, this is my body, this is my heart therefore it is my business to know what's going on and what to do with it." I agree with Gigi; "Leave the fitness challenge to the professionals and get past this." Take Care..

Ruth C. said...

Hi Mildred!
I definitely know you meant well. No harm done on my side..We are all mature women and I agree with Geegee that "we can have a healthy exchange of opinions and agree to disagree in a mature fashion". This is also why I followed your blog post with a funny post, "On fierce body maintenance".. Thank you for your concern. You are loved, and nothing can change that! You are my sister in Christ and I appreciate you...Relax, take it easy..Be release!!

Dedel said...

Hi Mildred,
I love attending medical conferences offered by Baptist Health of South Florida. It is offered to us free of charge for Baptist Health employee and it will keep me up to date with what's the latest in the medical profession. To me, it is a privilege to attend these conferences because of the CEUs and good dinner and luncheon receptions in the best hotels in town. Anyway, after all the lectures were delivered, they all conclude on lifestyle changes, mediterranian diet, exercise, smoking cessation, drink in moderation (I know about not to drink wine but be filled with the spirit, this does not apply to us), and enough rest. I can remember this in a cardiovascular symposium, COPD symposium, GI symposium, Sleep Symposium, and a lecture on Alzheimer. Like you, I urge everyone that I care for to do these lifestyle changes hoping that they will listen to me and also to remind myself. I am always starting then I stop and after each doctor's visit with her reminding me that it will take 8 months to revert my osteopenia and it will cut 50 % of the big C recurrence if I exercise vigorously for 5 days a week, then I start again. It has been an on and off regimen for me. Yes I listened, and I tried and failed and will try again and I am trying now! Wish me luck.

Mildred said...

DEDEL,
Educating the public about the latest trend in improving ones health is very important. I am so glad that you were attending those MEDICAL CONFERENCES. We are in our peremenopausal and menopausal stages of our lives and we need to be aware of our body limitations. Our bones are getting brittle and our hormones are all over the place. I liked what you said that you have ups and downs in your exercise regimen, but you continued to persevere. Try and try again, that is the spirit, don't give up! TRY AND TRY and soon you will get used to it. Nobody said that it would be easy. The most important is that you are doing something about it!! KEEP IT UP!!!

Ruth C. said...

When we were younger, we spent our health to gain wealth; now we are older, we spend our wealth to gain back our health..What an irony!! Ang buhay nga naman, ano?..

Manongdo said...

I have my health (kahit na mataba) and Ruth I'm still waiting on the wealth part...Lotto tickets anyone?

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, bahaginan mo ako kapag nanalo ka sa lotto! lots of laughs...Wala ako pareho eh..