A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Monday, March 24, 2008

I Am 50+2...and I Know Better Now

Six more days before I turn 52 and I’m amazed that it’s been two years since I celebrated my half-century anniversary. Two years ago, I have to admit, I dreaded going over that proverbial hill. Today, however, I think I’ve gotten more comfortable with the thought of becoming a bonafide card-carrying member of the AARP. Funny thing is, I don’t feel the slightest bit as old as I thought the fifty-somethings were back when I was in my 20s. Back then, though, I was clueless and thought that being fifty was all about getting old. I just didn’t know any better. Today at 52, I have amassed a wealth of self-knowledge and can say with conviction that I know so much better now than I ever did.


I embrace whatever has happened in my life, both the good and the bad, as blessings. Fifty years worth of experiences have molded me into the wiser, more insightful and seasoned woman that I am today. All the people and places I have encountered in my travels and day-to-day life all taught me some invaluable lessons that one can only get from experience. In the 80s, I did a lot of travelling, In the 90s, I settled down, got married, went back to school to study Broadcasting and TV Journalism. While I can say that I have been happy for most of my life, it has not been without its share of blunders, pitfalls, heartaches and disappointments. Yes, it has been a roller-coaster life but it’s taught me to trust that things don’t stay down forever. Eventually, you do get to come up for air. I have dealt with career ups and downs but, you know what, it eventually led me to the niche where I’m at and truly belong. I have had to deal with illnesses, both of my own and those of my loved ones, but those were the times when I felt truly closest to God; when I heard Him calling me to slow down and take time out to renew my ties with Him. I’ve gone through a failed marriage and family estrangements but those rifts actually served to strengthen my bond with my husband and family once the issues were resolved. I have had my heart badly broken but I was also blessed to have known how incredible it is to be loved by and fall deeply in love with a soulmate. And for every disappointment, every mistake I've made, there was always a lesson to be learned. When you’re twenty, you just think that it’s the end of the world. But when you’re 52, you know better.


I know better now than to define myself in numbers and letters. I am not my age, or my weight, or how many dollar signs I’m worth or the letters attached to my title. I am secure in being plain old me wearing many hats in my life --- that of a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a wife, a colleague, a mentor, a friend, a lover, a caregiver ---
and knowing that I’ve played my roles well gives me a sense of fulfillment. Today, I am enjoying my life more than I ever did. Gone are the insecurities of youth. I am more relaxed and more confident to express myself in however way I want to. I go to latin dance classes, sewing class, scrapbooking class ... I am looking forward to a lot more zestful years of doing things I love to do and being of service to those who can benefit from my help. After years of unsuccessfully trying to have kids, I've made peace with the reality that motherhood is not part of God's plan for me. Today, I find myself playing surrogate mother to my adolescent patients who are lost, hopeless and helpless and I am grateful that all my years of experience somehow help me to show them that things don’t stay down forever…that eventually, they will get to come up for air; that later in life they will know better. (
Now let me go back to my cleanse-tone-and-moisturize routine.)

14 comments:

Melle said...

WOW! I thought I was listening to Geegee's broadcast on TV! You definitely have been through a lot but your positive outlook in life is so inspiring! God has given you a more difficult role to play because He knows you are smart enough to handle anything. See, in spite of all that has happened you have embraced life and counted all the difficulties you have encountered as blessings. If everyone had the same positve attitude as you, no one will ever have to see a psychologist or psychiatrist!

"The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.”- Tom Bodett said.

Thanks Geegee, I have learned something just by reading your post. Take care and stay happy!

Anonymous said...

Hello Geegee,
But to me, you will always be Gigi for it is an association I like (not sure if you do but am taking the risk) for the movie-musical "Gigi" by Alan Jay Lerner and which stars Audrey Hepburn. I am a musical nuts. I collect records, libretto, and books on plays. Broadcasting and journalism, wow! Did you continue with it? You are very suited in that arena. I hope you don't mind, but at our age what can prevent us from doing stuff we all love to do but never got to? We can all defy circumstances even challenge fate. I wish you only the best, Geegee, only the best.

Manongdo said...

Gigi, you have summarized 52 years in such a short and wonderful phrases. And you look gorgeous with your bling bling. :-) I like the "coming up for air" idea coz right now I'm in the dumps. Your blog made me look forward to the next years to come. Thank-you for sharing and caring. I hope to see you soon. naiiyak natuloy ako sa sabik na makita ang mga kaibigan ko sa College...... I'll wait until July.......Cynthia

Veron Orpilla Benitez said...

Dear Geegee,
You are truly a remarkable woman. I respect you for all the hardships you went through your 50 years...you were able to look back and accept the course of events, the choices made, your life as you lived it, as being necessary...

Coming to terms with our life is truly difficult but with a strong will power, determination and perseverance nothing is impossible...

God blessed you and made you an "Instrument of Love"...
to your needy adolescent patients...for you have learned and earned the greatest value of all "WISDOM".

Happy Birthday!

Veron

P.S. I cannot believe I am a day older than you are.

Ruth C. said...

Happy Birthday Geegee and Veron!!

Geegee McFarlain said...

Hey Melle, Julie, Cynthia, Veron and Ruth ---- So glad to hear from you guys! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I love you all for your feedback and encouraging words. I just hope I didn't give you all the impression that I went through so much hardship. . .the drama queen that I am sometimes. It really wasn't that bad. I've enjoyed quite a cushy life and I'd hate for God to take that away in case He thinks I'm complaining. I just wanted to impart the message that once I learned to relinquish control when things didn't go the way I hoped they would, I realized that God was making me choose to either be a spoiled brat about it or become the better person that He intended me to be. When I opted for the latter, it became more of an uplifting rather than a disheartening experience. My parish priest once told me that if you wanted to give God a good laugh, just tell Him your plans. Since then, I've learned not to sweat stuff but as the country song goes, I let Jesus take the wheel.
Julie, you are a woman after my own heart. I am a musical fanatic myself..high five tayo!!!! If there was a game show on Musical Comedy, I would ace it, for sure. I actually took musical theater class and performed in a local production of Chorus Line here in Houston. I wish I could take you to Broadway. We would have a ball!!!! You can call me Gigi anytime. I so love that movie!

Melle and Ruth, your families are beautiful. I'm so proud of you. Cynthia, where are your pics? I'm very impressed with the work that you do, girl.

Veron, happy birthday to you too. We're not only both in mental health but we're both Arians too. We're actually twins!

Thanks again, classmates. You all look great. Walang kakupas-kupas. Love you, guys...mmmmmwah!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was Maila, your sister, who is into theater, arts; media in general. Mas ikaw pala! . When I made a short visit in New York, somewhere in the late 90's, I did nothing but watch all the musicals, straight plays and opera, all my baon went to the ticket booth and didn't know na nandoon sina Cecille H., Chato F., Mildred D., who else pa in New York. At kung hindi kinalampag ko sila. You write very well. Damn too well. Fluidity and sophistication are evident. Happy Birthday to Certified Golds! Gigi and Veron!

Ruth C. said...

Julie,
Just started enjoying Broadway musicals. Friends from high school introduced me..In fact, Hats! By Red Hat Society is one of the ones I watched, then The Producers, Phantom and others...Then ang mga live concerts naman like Simon and Garfunkles (tama ba ang speling?), Eagles.. Nakaka-relax mag-watch..

Manongdo said...

I've never been to a broadway play, can somebody adapt me and take me to the shows, please,pretty, pretty please with sugar and spice?

Geegee McFarlain said...

I'll be happy to take you, Cynthia. You'll love, love, love it. Whereabouts do you live btw? We can be Broadway buddies. Wheeee!!!!What are you doing up still. It's 1 am in Texas.

oddie said...

Gee2..you write so well..
You are finally celebrating the gift of contentment...after the perfect acceptance in the face of daunting circumstances in you life and now letting that peace permeate the relationships you have with the people surrounding you.

Geegee McFarlain said...

Thanks, Oddie. Unloading life of hang-ups is truly liberating. Life is way too short to be wallowing, pining, blaming or regretting. There are myriads of beautiful experiences to be had in this world and it'll be a shame to miss them. I say being happy and at peace is a choice one makes. The only struggle that we should really care about is being the beautiful person that God always intended us to be.

Anonymous said...

For Cynthia, and to the rest of the nightingales (I hope this site might be helpful.) We plan to fly to Florida after California and my cousin in Jacksonville recommended this transpo site called orbitz.com for reasonably priced air fare. I hope you will find this useful as we do now. See you in California.

Mildred said...

JULIE,
Our family uses Orbitz. com for all our traveling needs. It is reliable and economical. Good that your cousin informed you about it.