A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Monday, March 10, 2008

College Loans and Societal Molds

I agree, Mildred, that we kill ourselves trying to provide everything for our children. Where else can they get a college-educated chauffer, chef, cleaning woman, laundry woman, yaya and ATM rolled into one! And all because of love. Either that or I am a glutton for punishment! :)

At the same time, I also realize that I am not Super Woman and certainly not Mother Teresa. I cannot be everything to everybody. So yes, Kevin is on student loan. He graduates from UT next year and then will probably move on to nursing or physical therapy. With a single parent, he has no choice. C'est la vie.

Yes, Julie, it took chutzpah when I broke out of the societal mold you wrote about; I just was not martyr material. Or rather I CHOSE not to be. And I am happier because of it.

It will be nice to see you again, Julie. Your insight caught me by surprise, considering we have not seen each other for 30 years... considering how you are laden with unsurmountable limitations. I find myself humbled by your amazing grace.

1 comment:

Manongdo said...

Patti, I was a single parent too for my three boys. I did everything for my children and for a long time after the divorce my kids hated me. They were too young to appreciate the sacrifice I was doing for them (they were 8 months, 6 yrs old and 7 years old. I was in therapy for months to cope with the divorce but eventually I survived. It helps to have a personal relationship with God. I talked and prayed everyday to God to help my children understand. Now that they are 27, 26 and 19 they tell me they love me and appreciate the sacrifices I did for them.I'm sure your son will appreciate it too. being divorced is not that bad.Its fun rediscovering your inner self and who you really are. Things happen for a reason.The trials that we have ...It too shall pass...Just remember you are loved and will never endure the hardship alone. :-)