A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Friday, March 21, 2008

I AM 50...AND THEN WHAT

I am inclined to write "I AM 50 AND SO WHAT!" or "I am 50 and the heck with it!" But "I AM 50 AND THEN WHAT"... in a way is contemplative. I am 51 and then what I intend to do; till daylight disappears in my life, is attend the 30 years celebration of bonds, ties,friendship and a commonality that I share with the "Daughters of Nightingales". Even if this means breaking the bank of my family; even if it means my sister Victoria has to leave her work to accompany me on this journey but still they allow. This is a journey that I must take to put closure to that chapter in my life that I could not go back except as a patient. What a complete life reversal role. And that's where and when I realized that nurses have grand roles to play in the healing profession. A glass of water offered by a nurse tendered with compassion to a thirsty patient who lacks the means to grasp that glass is an act that others might look as inconsequential but to a patient, that is kindness. A patient is in a position of asking and not giving. A position of deprivation, wanting and lacking. There is nothing in the world I would rather be than a patient. I prefer to give than receive. I prefer my hands reaching out that being reached out to by helping hands. I want to be that hands that you all possess.
I am 50 and then what I am doing is reaching out to all of you and if you find it in your hearts to welcome me back into the fold without misgivings, the more I shall feel accomplished. For in my lifetime, I have received only love, respect from people in the country much bigger than me and a lot. And I keep asking God, do I deserve that kind of reception? Yes, I do. Yes, we all do for. Yes, all the Daughters of Nightingales Class 1978 deserves the best reception. "Do I wither up and disappear, or do I make the best of my time left?" Mitch Albon, tuesdays with Morrie.
In hearts and good deeds, I thank you all for being a part of my journey in this thing called life.
I am 50 and then what I do with is my little gift.

10 comments:

Melle said...

It's going to be a wish come true Julie! Everything will be ok and everyone in the reunion will gladly welcome all the participants. You will all surely enjoy every minute of it.
Take care and enjoy your summer in the Philippines.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Ms. Amores, it is great to be reunited with all our classmates but more our friends. Wish you can make a trip also to San Francisco. Heto nagbibilang na ako ng barya at mahal ang ginto ngayon! Baka may nasubi pa, balak ko ngang pumunta sa Cabigas jewely para magpaweigh ng ginto, relative of Dr. Cabigas for they are in the jewelry business. Mainit dito, feel talaga ang global warming. The heat really burns this time. I am sure hindi ka masusunod diyan. And let me greet you with many more years of happy togetherness with ano na nga ang pangalan ng bf mo?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patti Concepcion said...

"Do I wither up and disappear, or do I make the best of my time left?"

I think with you, Julie, it seems "the best" is yet to come.

Anonymous said...

Yes Patti that is my attitude, I will not wither or disappear, for we, we will all make the best of our times no matter how long that time is and the heck with other factors! Di vah, carry on, just carry on.

Anonymous said...

Mildred, I wrote a little piece on your suggested topic.And it really helps me contemplate. This topic and the college teachers really balances my living. Laughter and anticipation, what a happy combination. Happy Days to you and your family.

Mildred said...

Julie, you are an inspiration to all of us. Your life is a blessing to me especially. Your body might be fragile and weak but your spirit is strong and vibrant. God put you in the midst of us so that through you, we can experience how magnificent our GOD is. God sustains you after all these years as a testimony of HIS sovereignty over everything in this world and beyond. We love you Julie, we are praying for more miracles and GOD'S provision to your life. Thanks for the wonderful spirit that you have.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mildred
This blog is a gift this us. Thanks to Patti for setting this blog; definitely a site where we can re-acquaint with each other; one more time. And as the blog affirms our existence so does our essence as a girl, classmate, mother, wives and us singles. May you continue living a happy life free from any dissolutions or misgivings. For that is the only way to live happy.
Be happy, Mildred.

Manongdo said...

Julie, You are an inspiration to me :) Your sister was one of my instructors and I enjoyed her class. I'm sure she didn't enjoy me coz she gave me a C....Just joking, I Don't remember my grades anymore, all I know was I passed and that was sufficient for me.Thank-you for your blogs. I read it everyday. Patti is a real blessing for setting this up. :)

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,
I am sure hindi C or 3; sa tawag namin dito tres, ang grade mo kay Ate, she told me our batch is an intelligent batch. Masaya ang mukha ng estudyante kapag tres, (lalo na sa UP) kapag kuwatro may pag-asa pa at kapag cinco, dinadaya na..lots of laugh! Students can't face a repeat. Sige na nga, yabang na naman ito (dyahi na ako sa inyong lahat) but I taught Communication Research sa Trinity noon at hindi ako nagbigay ng 4 or 3 (kasi ang grading system natin sa pinas ay 1, 1.25, 1.75, 2.0...) except some private schools like Ateneo yata. And Cynthia, ang grade mo sa galing mong magsulat, your funny bones, and outlook in life is definitely UNO. Iyon ang lingo namin kapag 1.0 ang grade.
Cynthia, we haven't meet (again) except through the blog but by the way you write and how your spirit comes out if; you are one girl who has emerged into a rose. For we were all kampupots then. Lots of laughs! BUT TO ALL THE DAUGHTERS OF NIGHTINGALES, MY HEARTFELT CONGRATULATIONS FOR WE ARE ALL SUMMA CUM LAUDE!