A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Friday, March 28, 2008

On fierce body maintenance to prolong youthful edge

As I age, I am finding it challenging to stay optimally fit but my husband of thirty years said: "I am more attractive: not by my curvature, prettiness or leanness but by keeping my chemistry alive! Where my chemistry is defined as a combination of warmth and curiosity, ease in relating to people, intelligence and imagination, wit and sense of irony."

Am I rigid and resigned? Oh no! I am soaring, and enjoying my post menopausal zest..Somehow I am finding a new version of attractiveness with my complexity and uniqueness, where I am developing a deeper core of attributes where I can accept, embrace and enjoy the roundedness and normal weight gain, wrinkles and sags that come naturally with maturity.

Somehow, I have this fear that after I have dieted, weight trained, body contoured, nipped and tucked,dyed and lipo-suctioned, that I am being prepared for mummification. Ha, ha, ha, ha..

I have accepted that my sense of well being is no longer determined by the world's evaluation of my attractiveness, therefore, I am proceeding with joy in the playfulness of the next stage of my life..I will enjoy every minute of it, whatever is best for me, hopefully becoming better, stronger, wiser, deeper, funnier, freer and more attentive to living the privileged moment, even as I am getting lumpier, bumpier,and closer to the end..Ha, ha, ha, ha..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth, kenkoy ka pala and real funny. I sure would like to hang out with you and all the the rest of the nightingales and just giggle with lots of laughters. Your post could really be one full blown article on "Accepting My Body". Body is just outward. What is more important is what's inside, more what kind of hearts we all possess. Yours definitely is warm and accepting. Ride on...

Ruth C. said...

Thanks,Julie...Just trying to close the gap between my chronological age and the inner image of myself...

Geegee McFarlain said...

Thank you for posting this, Ruth. Ahlavit!!!! I am so forwarding this to all my middle-aged comadres. This echoes my sentiments exactly. I respect Mildred reminding us of the virtues of staying fit and trim. If being lean and fit is what makes you happy, more power to you. I realize however that, realistically, I will personally never be able to go down to a size 4. Those days for me are over. For me, there are way too many things to savor in this short life of ours to be too focused on how "fit" I am. Although I haven't dramatically lost weight from it, I get plenty of exercise from salsa dance class and biking and the last time I checked, I had a clean bill of health from my doctor. I feel good about myself and I am Happy, with a capital H, with being interesting rather than trim. And if I get too slow for the younger folks, such is the progression of life...

Veron Orpilla Benitez said...

Ditto...hahahahaaha.

Manongdo said...

Ditto rin :)

Dedel said...

I am so addicted to our site! My husband is not happy with me staying up late because I'm in front of my computer. He's just worried about me not getting enough rest but I'm very hard headed. Too bad I am not a good blogger and it will take me forever to compose something but I keep track with every blog entry and enjoyed reading it. I particularly like this Ruth, and maybe I'll make some copies to hand out to every single person who will comment about my weight and my age, so I don't have to tell them that "hello! I'm fifty-two and what do you expect?" Why can't they accept the fact that we do get old?...and the sad truth that our body change from fab to f--!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dedel,
Ako din addicted to our blog that Patti created for us. Minsan para nga akong gaga na tawa ng tawang mag-isa like that post on "male teachers".
And it is not our problem if others can't accept what sizes we wear now. It's their problem not ours. We are all past that stage. What matters is we accept ourselves as we are.
Ditto rin:)

Dedel said...

Amen to that Julie, I am touched by your lifestory and I thank God for the miracle we see in your life. Even with your medical condition, you turned out to be very positive and successful and happy and an inspiration. You are indeed very special and I am so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dedel! This reunion, this blog is such a gift to me, to all of us. It's as if the feeling, camaraderie we all shared in our "pajama party" still lives with us or comes back to us. To me, it comes back. My mother left us for nearly 3 years now but my sadness, grief over her passing hasn't fully left me. Ganito pala iyon, for I have never known "sadness" in my entire life. My mother told me when my father passed away "nalungkot siya." "Lungkot" is an emotion I wouldn't wish on anybody for it is a terrible emotion. Heaven always finds a way to heal us, only if we take the heed. All of you have gifted me. I can only ask God to return to all of you what you have given me. Thank you, and everybody for the gifts.