A New Journey

Welcome to our weblog or blog for short. It's a great place to visit and chat with former nursing school classmates.

Come share memories of the past. Come share the happenings of the present.

Here's to rekindling old friendships and forging new ones!

What are you waiting for? Ready... Set... Post!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

ON WRITING

Writing is the easiest act of all. Believe me, girls. I am not even using correct grammar just letting it out. And once you have discovered the beauty of writing, whether technical or literary, it will be addicting. BUT MOST, WE CAN ALL WRITE, WE ARE ALL WRITERS. WE CAN ALL EXPRESS OURSELVES. But more when our children approached us and asked us to read their papers they made for school; be glad if they share with us their papers, we would be confident and definitely authoritative in this area. And we can cay “ha, akala mo ikaw lang ang marunong magsulat.” But I am positive that when it comes to technical writing that is a real easy deal for all of you. I am done with the technical and scientific. And I believe, it is time to explore other topics. But when can you find time to write? When you feel like it, as in now....

I took a course in writing. Yes, I studied the process, it didn’t happen overnight. But the subject that taught me much about writing was a subject called “Critical Writing” under the late Alfredo Navaro Salanga. Freddie, that’s how we called him, would discuss a topic in class and at the end of the class we were required to submit a 3 pages, double-spaced paper on a topic. Can you imagine typing at that time the ’80s when personal computers where not yet invented. Like the topics he posted was “Would Noli Me Tangere in Radio be Inflammatory” Writing is not innate talent, it is cultured, learned, studied and practiced. And I always have a small dictionary and thesaurus beside me. For we would all grapple for words.

When we were in college then, we write admission papers. Like, “admitted a 50 year old woman, with rapid heart beats, complaining of ….” I found that writing boring at times, so there were times I would put (not in the chart) “admitted a 50 year old woman, with straight and bleached hairs, looked famished and sad. “ And then I would explore, ‘why is she sad?” And I would sit with the patient and talked with her.. From that talked, I would write, what I felt she was telling me. Not what she was saying me but what I FELT she was telling me. I think we can all do that, start expressing what we feel inside our hearts, guts or “kasu-kasuan” . This process can begin with..” I am 50 and I am……….” fill in the blanks, perhaps Mildred we can take our friends to his journey, can I throw this ball at you and then hindi ka pa pala 50 ano..just 49 and we can start. “ I am 50……. ….’ Is it okay Mildred if you take the lead? Thanks Mildred.
How about it Girls......" I am 50 and....
julie

No comments: